Wednesday 2 September 2009

Bah.

I've been seeing alot of the word 'girlish' in local magazines recently and I don't like the sound of it. I feel that 'girly' sounds better. Don't you agree? I looked up both words on my Mac dictionary and 'girlish' was used in a sentence such as: "She broke out in a fit of girlish giggles." Girly, on the other hand, is apparently  an often derogatory term. I don't think it has such a connotation in our part of the world though. SO with that, let's do a sound check.

1) This dress is at once elegant and girly!
2) This dress is at once elegant and girlish!

The former sounds better. I can't describe why. I think 'girlish' should only used in the context of an adverb ('girlishly') or a noun ('girlishness'). I wish the fashion writers would stop dropping 'girlish' into almost every other sentence. Enoughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It's the same way our primary school teachers reminded us to stop using as generic an adjective as 'good' in our compositions.

No comments: